The prime objective of the Corporation is to continuously strive to bring in sustained levels of enhanced production while trying to facilitate the necessary measures for allowing affordability of fish in the local markets.
Some of the priority measures taken by the Corporation are as follows:
The Corporation has initiated the sale of fish at controlled prices in the various markets in the city.
- Initiatives have been taken for increasing the seed production in the hatcheries especially for GIFT Tilapia
- Tilapia piscicultural systems represents a lower level in the food chain and the culture is economical and eco friendly. Priority is being given to the culture of Monosex culture of GIFT Tilapia.
- Proposals have already been sent to NFDB for schemes of Fingerling production and dredging of East Kolkata Wetlands every five years to sustain fishing activities.
- Intensive efforts are being undertaken to increase the fish farming in the large waterbodies under its control.
- Excavations of the various water bodies of the Corporation have already been started.
- Efforts are being made to increase the seed production in the Hatcheries of the Corporation.
The Corporation is also working on proposals to take over more water bodies from the Fisheries Department for the purpose of pisciculture.
Other Domain of Activity
Design, Construction & Management of:
- Fishing Harbours
- Fish Landing Jetties
- Fish Markets/ Fish Seed markets
- Excavation of water bodies
- Constructions of Buildings
- Management of Fishing Harbours
- Construction and Management of Cold Chain
Works undertaken by the Corporation
Types of Activities executed by the Corporation
The Corporation is an executing agency for schemes assigned by the Department of Fisheries, Government of West Bengal which includes the following works.
Major Works undertaken by this Corporation:
- Coastal Protection Works
- Management of Fishing harbour at Shankarpur and Petuaghat
- Pisci-culture at Shankarpur
- Planning, design and Construction of Fish Seed Markets at Sinhati and Naihati
- Dredging at Samudrakhal, Dadanpatrabar Khal, Kakdwip, etc.
- Construction of New Roads and Improvement of Existing Roads at various places
Dredging of Muriganga River at lot No. 8 during Gangasagar Mela for the last five years (Client: District Administration, South 24 Parganas) o Design and Construction of Fishery Science Faculty at Chakgaria
This Corporation undertakes consultancy work viz. preparation of DPR/ TEFR, Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA)/ and Environmental management Plan (EMP) for other coastal States in the country. This Corporation is an Empanelled Consultant in the domain of preparation of DPR of Fishing Harbours under the Ministry of Agriculture, Govt. of India.